Brief History of UPDM (B)
In accordance with the pattern of National Education, where Private Universities should improve the quality, roles, and responsibilities in implementing national education without losing its characteristics, in 1961 Dental College of Dr. Moestopo’s status has finally been increased to ‘Faculty of Dentistry of Prof. Dr. Moestopo’. This Faculty is the embryo of the University Prof. Dr. Moestopo, which was officially founded on February 15, 1961.
Prof. Dr. Moestopo himself has received innumerable achievements in the field of dentistry, such as licences (expertise) in Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodonsia, and Conservative Dentistry. He also obtain acknowledgment as Professor in the field of Oral Surgery, Conservative
Dentistry, Orthodonsia, and Biology. the Republic. He also confirmed as the Guard of Pancasila (national ideology). His contribution in the field of dental education in Indonesia is a co-founder of a variety of dental school in Indonesian Universities such as University of Indonesia,
Padjadjaran University, Gadjah Mada University, University of North Sumatra,Trisakti University, and University Prof. Dr. Moestopo (Beragama). For his services, the Association of Indonesian Dentist (PDGI) conferred him as the Father of Indonesian Dentistry.
In line with developments in the field of education, in 1962 Dr. Moestopo together with his wife R.A. Soepartin established the Foundation of University Prof. Dr. Moestopo, as a social entity dedicated itself to the Government of the Republic of Indonesia through educational, health, religious, scientific research, guidance and mental counseling activities.
Today, the University of Prof. Dr. Moestopo (Beragama) manages six undergraduate programs, encompassing Dentistry Science, Professional Dentist, International Relations, Public Administration, Economics, and Communication Science. The University also runs Post Graduate Studies that consists of Financial Management, Marketing Management, Human Resources Management, Public Policy with clusters on Regional Autonomy & Governance and Communication Studies focusing on Public Relations, Journalism and Advertising.
The University is acknowledging students who have special achievements internal or external campus activities. In 2016, UPDM (B) has disbursed internal scholarships for 15 athletes and 75 students with extraordinary achievements. In addition to that, scholarships from Government and Private Companies have also allocated for 155 students.
The word “Beragama” literally means as religious, has indepth meaning as follow:
- A manifestation of faith and piety to the Almighty God.
- A manifestation of the first principle of Pancasila, “belief in one Almighty God”, the Five Basic State Foundation and as guidance for each citizen of the Republic of Indonesia to respect each other and to promote cooperation among religious groups within the Unitary State of the Republic of Indonesia.
- Full conception and actualization of all the five principle of Pancasila.
- The innermost desire of the people engaged with Prof. Dr. Moestopo (Beragama) University to see a harmonious relationship among fellowers of all religions as it is the guidelines for all the people engaged in this University. Accordingly, all people engaged in this university are free to perform their religious duties and for this, the University provides places of worship in its premises.
- A manifestation of those described in the above are reflected in the Doctrine of the university students.